Monday 12 October 2015

The portrait......


Like always i remember this so clearly even though it was 49year ago ! My mam had paid for a photographer to come to the house and take a family portrait...how excited me and my brother were. Mam had let me wear my new dress which id picked myself  a concoction of swirly dark and light pink flowers on a pink background  trimmed with white lace!Pink was the theme that night!! My sister wore a pink dress trimmed with blue tulips and the baby pink gingham!!



My brother  lounged over the covered chair  in red and blue....the photographer was late and i remember my mam being a bit worried that he hadn't come in time and my baby sis was getting tired......

I cant remember much about the man that came walking through the front door that night apart from the fact  he was laden down with  equipment...he had a huge light or at least it seemed huge to me!!!
The chair was positioned   a sheet promptly brought to cover it and all of us set out in our place  the photographer posing us  ,,,on went the light and he asked us to look into the camera. I'm pretty sure my brother laughed!! I'm also sure he got told off   i of course was  so serious  i think i was a pretty serious child who never smiled on photos  as i got a bit older me and my cousin Janet decided it wasn't hip to smile!!Also we decided that our mode of dress would be sloppy Joe's our name for big sloppy jumpers and ponchos!!So i have a few photos of us together  with dead pan faces....i Afton wonder if this was the start of my fascination for photography.This memory has stayed with me all these years as fresh as if it was yesterday....looking at us  my brother with his cheeky impish grin, my sister clinging on to me  and the baby  my spoilt rotten sister who we all adored   .plump and curly haired i wonder where the time has gone to.......i watch as the family rituals have been passed down to my children and now my grandchildren.I know at the time this cost my mother a lot of money  and we wernt well of by any means but this picture has given me so much pleasure. Just as pictures of my children and now my grandchildren have. I'm lucky to have nieces who have  developed a love for photography and  are very very talented i hope i influenced them in some way and a son  and daughter in law who never have a camera  out of their hands.....happy memories x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book cover

In Bab, studio with Irene Reddish  taking photos for a book cover