Sunday 26 August 2012

Day dreaming!

It was so dull yesterday i saw everything in black and white..off i trot to the supermarket down the road with my trusty trolley!I'm much too old now to think about what i look like.I ofton think about  what this little area would have looked like a hundred year ago. It was obviously an affluent area  in the past ,you just have  to look at the magnificent houses that line the main  street into town.





We have so many lovely churches crammed into such a small space too.







There all commercial property's now.But  i cant help wondering  what it would have been like in  Victorian or Edwardian times. I'm a hopeless romantic! an ardent watcher of upstairs ,downstairs!anything  period i love, the poets of old, Keats ,Tennyson,Dunne the list is endless! The artists of yesteryear  !! Everyday things that my great grandparents would have used!
How many people lived , loved cried ,the class divide  fascinates me !History fascinates me!! when i home schooled Rosa that was one of the delights, each week delving into the past my love rubbed off as she too loves history, I have  quite a collection of vintage cameras  and photos and albums which i have trollied through life, from house to house clinging on to for dear life,I'm  well known in my family  as a collector of rubbish!!! the cheek of it!! Ive so many vintage photos its unreal!


I ofton take out these albums of anonymous  faces that to me look like old friends! An album from 1910 of a family holiday  in tyne side, a thick heavy album of photographs of someones life at Cambridge university, a Victorian  album of a family full of stunning cabinet prints!Rubbish i  think not!!!



I love this house with its steps leading up to the door Who lived and died there? What tragedy's  were lived out between the wars!!

 I  do get carried away ,as i wander off to the supermarket....click back to colour!!!!
What better  than a good old British postbox!!!


This brought me  well and truly back to reality!!!Parked in the supermarket car park ,i had to titter!!Isn't it brilliant!!My kids are massive fans of the Simpson's and this person  must be too!!!

Back to reality!!!
My shopping paid for!

Off i trolley back!!

Down the road......
 Passed the railings that survived the  war effort to turn them in to Spitfires!
 Passed the ugly buildings ,between the nestling pieces of living history , the once  middle class family homes with their life ,their servants  their laughter and tragetys!

With little bits of yesteryear still left over! Back to my 100 year old tiny working class terrace house that holds everthing that is  dear to me...the only things in life i truly need.........with its leaking pipes and broken lights real shabby chic because we cant afford to fix it up ...but the place i love and call home...............

1 comment:

  1. I recognised all those buildings Fiffypunkle excellent pics as always hugsssssss xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Book cover

In Bab, studio with Irene Reddish  taking photos for a book cover