Friday 6 April 2012

Memorys



Since  Ive meandered into middle age  i seem to be constantly thinking about the past.Probably because I'm homesick and since my sister Jackie went back to Newcastle from Teeside its getting worse!I think a lot about my dad  my grandparents and my wonderful childhood. I'm one of the very lucky people  who were brought up by exceptional parents and had an idyllic childhood. We never had a lot of money  and only had one holiday with my aunt and uncle but  this didn't bother us as our childhood was full of love and laughter. I have a terrible short term memory as everyone who knows me  will tell...but long term I'm exceptional. I still can see my mum and grandma in our backyard  washing in the washouse!The  steam from the  boiler belching out from under the door . My mam and gran hauling the sheets into the back lane to put on lines to dry.Washing day was always on a Monday so woe betide anything that came  down the back lane and spoil the washing. I remember the ships at the bottom of the streets as they were being built by men like my dad and grandad who worked in Swan Hunters shipyard, Me  and my brother walking with my dad to to see them being launched , the cranes and the noise...its long gone now the cranes being shipped off somewhere abroad to be used , no more apprenticeships , no more work and high unemployment...so sad.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book cover

In Bab, studio with Irene Reddish  taking photos for a book cover